Thursday 6 July 2006

What to say, what to say.

As the title suggest I really am not sure what to say in this blog, I just felt I should write a new entry.

I have the idea of writing an article about my favourite games series, Broken Sword, but I'm not sure what the subject of said article will include so I don't think I can start that just yet.

So if not a Broken Sword article, then what? That is the question that drives.....well me, at least for the next 20 minutes or so.

I am in a weird place these days where I am bored out of my skull, so I really want to hurry up and get a job, but really the prospect scares the shit out of me, my first proper job, that's huge.

My first step toward this will be getting my own bank account, and even that is scaring me a bit. Growing up has always been one of the big fears in my life, I really don't cope well with responsibility, well that's a bit of a lie, because I do ok with it. It is more the anticipation of it that scares me.

You know, even if no one reads these blogs, it is a really good way of just getting your thoughts down, I'm really enjoying that aspect of it. It's kinda like an online diary, just that anyone can see it, not as if diaries actually have to be kept private anyway.

So that's my random thoughts out of the way, so what to write about next?

I wonder, I wonder, right well maybe I will share my thoughts on Broken Sword. Be warned though, I have no idea what the general theme of this is going to be about so I may go off on one a bit.

Right, Broken Sword 4, Angel Of Death, I'd just like to say that I am most definetly looking forward to it. It's no secret that Broken Sword 3 had its faults, but despite those it was still a far more enjoyable game that alot of other games I've played in recent years. It still had that Broken Sword charm and wit, and now in shiny 3D to boot.

Now I am in no way a graphics whore, sure I am impressed by good graphics, but I wouldn't buy a game because of it, unless it had the gameplay and story to go with it. Graphics are just one part of a game, sometimes they are a very crucial part of the game, sometimes they aren't, I think in Broken Swords case if the graphics aren't spectacular then it wouldn't matter as much, because when it comes down to it I love Broken Sword because of the story and the characters. The two 2D Broken Swords had flawless graphics it's true, and while locations did seem quite empty, the style and detail of Broken Sword 3 was good enough to warrant the leap to 3D, even if some of the gameplay elements weren't.

I get the feeling I may have slightly contradicted myself just then, but oh well. Now with Broken Sword 4, Revolution (and Sumo Digital) are taking into account the aspects that were wrong with Broken Sword 3 and making sure they are sorted. So what will this mean? That Broken Sword 4 will return to having the same level of gameplay as the story, as it did has in BS 1 & 2? I for one hope so, because the story and characters in Broken Sword 3 were the main thing that kept me loyal to the series, the gameplay was playable, and often enjoyable, but it hadn't been tweaked enough, and too many crate puzzles made the game drag on more than it should've.

I don't think I've said anything relatively new there, but I thought I'd get it off my chest anyway.

Well we all know what was wrong with Broken Sword 3, so how about I talk about why despite its flaws it was still a really enjoyable game. First of all we have a classic and well written story. A story that just like the first two games, takes existing mythology and brings it to life in a very compelling and interesting way. It even managed to bring back elements from the still best game in the series, Shadow Of The Templars. The story had some great twists and turns, some heart warming moments, some tragic ones, some heroic ones and as usual some very funny ones.

A great story wouldn't be anything if it weren't for great characters, and as usual The Sleeping Dragon has them in bucket loads, all our old favourites are here, George and Nico of course, Lobineau and a few other old favourites. However we also have some new characters, in the form of the games antagonists Petra and Susarro. Broken Sword 3 did a good job of introducing these characters and not only making them mysterious but believable are opponents. That's not as easy as it sounds either. Once again the voice acting behind these characters is top notch, and it makes you wonder why other games can't get voice actors as good? I mean this game didn't have the biggest budget but managed to get great voice actors, while some games have stupidely high budgets and have crap voice acting? How does that work then?

I have slightly lost my train of thought, so I think I will come back to this later. So I guess it's bye for now.

No comments: